Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Here's What I think...



"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship," Louisa May Alcott.

When I was about 10 my dad gave me the book Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott. Recently a friend gave me the book, Fifty Celebrate Fifty and I saw this quotation by Alcott and I thought, "right on sister!"....that is exactly what I think.

I have sailed through storms yet I realize my storms are miniscule next to many in this world. But, they are my storms and I'm still trying to sail through.

When I was 15 I experienced my most horrific storm of my life at that time when two of my classmates drowned at my class party at our family lake place. It was well chaperoned and a great group of kids, but it happened. Within minutes two classmates drowned. Then less than a year later a friend I had grown up with was killed in an automobile accident. Those three deaths had an impact that only those who have gone through such an experience identify with yet I know that there are many, many and did I say many more who have gone through worse, worse and I did I say worse experiences. You bet every night when I say my prayers I thank God for blessing me with an easy life in comparison.

Last summer when my son had a horrific accident that could have and I emphasize could have taken his life I thanked God for blessing us that day. There are days I feel guilty because I've been so blessed and when I start whining about life I stop and remind myself my life has been a cake walk. I am still learning how to sail my ship and some days the water is smooth and the sky is blue and then there are other days.

Do you ever think about Job? A little over a year ago I took a class at my church, Disciple One and we studied the Bible from beginning to end and I remember thinking about old Job. Wow...we know nothing do we? At least most of my friends and family know nothing. Boils, frogs, locusts... I selfishly pray every day that God doesn't test me like Job, but if He does let me suffer with the grace of Job.

This blog began with Here's What I think...so now I'm doing a 360...but it's still what I think...Does anyone think that the "Education Lottery" is an oxymoran? (I just saw a commercial about the SC Education Lottery - got me thinking). Gambling on our children's education??? Hum let me think...what's wrong with that scenario??? My husband teases me because I refuse to buy a lottery ticket (on Sunday that is)...yes, yes, I'm guilty I've bought at least one of those scratch off tickets. Robert once took me to Philadelphia - Philadelphia, Mississippi that is to the Indian Reservation (ok - I shall be PC - Native American Reservation) to gamble. I told him I would risk no more than $10 ..I ended up risking $20 and feeling guilty. I just simply think its very ironic - education/lottery... are we gambling on our children's education - literally and figuratively?

So Sail on....

No comments:

Post a Comment